Pages

Monday, October 1, 2012

Googling Myself



When I initially googled myself I was shocked to see that I was five down from the top listing! It included information about my current role at Ashford University. I guess I'm more online than I thought. It cites slide share as the source of the listing, but I believe I only that service once. Kind of surprising. It may reveal more about slide share than it does about myself however.

I then googled myself again this time with the keyword NASA beside my name. This time the first two hits included educational products with which I had been involved in creating. Their involvement was over five years ago. It's good to see that some information still persists on the web. It also highlights the need to not make too many mistakes that would cause the mistake to be highlighted for years on the web.

I think this highlights the fact that being a resident on the web is not necessary to make results searchable on Google.  I'd say it was more done as a visitor at this point.  I wasn't involved at all with social networking at the time.  I think the trend seems to indicate a shifting from the visitor roll to the resident role.

No comments:

Post a Comment