Pages

Monday, October 1, 2012

Tribes

I was pretty impressed by Seth Godin's book Tribes. In fact, I see a lot of parallels between Daniel Pink's book A Whole New Mind and this one: both authors feel that the old order is passing in favor of a new one that emphasizes creativity and out-of-the-box thinking over that of the machine metaphor. Initially I was a little concerned that Seth Godin was pushing the leadership concept too hard. Can everyone be a leader at all times? Fortunately he addressed that concern part way through the book by knowledge Inc. said if one cannot be a leader, then it's best to get out of the way and be a follower. I would add to that, to be a good follower. When that is an active follower rather than a bystander.

I hope to have time to post an article that also lends credence to both authors' views that times are changing and being pushed by technology all along the way. One is a Ted talk by Andrew Mcafee who illustrates how jobs are slowly being absorbed by automation.

The other coincidently is an article featured on technology review, MIT's online magazine. It features a new type of robot that can work alongside humans and can be programmed easier than a TiVo.

Overall, I agree with Seth Godin that we hesitate largely due to fear and a lack of faith in ourselves, then we do from the lack of original or great ideas. The question I ask myself is, what do I feel strongly enough in to pursue as a leader? I have a few clues, but I need to define them more clearly.

1 comment:

  1. I see your point on this "new way" of thinking and also agree that Godin point is interesting when saying creativity and thinking out of the box should be emphasized. Our society is developing so quickly and new innovations can effectively help out. This book I think gives good ideas and tips.

    ReplyDelete